In the winter months 40% of canadians are found to have inadequate blood concentrations of Vit D! Among those who supplement 85 % had adequate levels. These levels are based on concentrations needed for appropriate bone mineralization.
However, what most people don’t realize is that vitamin D has so many benefits beyond maintaining good bone health.
Vitamin D supplementation has been shown to decrease the rate of fractures among the elderly by supporting bone mineralization, but surprisingly, it also decreases the likelihood of falls by improving sensorimotor function!
Acquiring optimal levels of Vit D:
- Prevents chronic disease (Cancer, ALS, MS)
- Prevents cardiovascular disease such as high cholesterol and hypertension
- Supports the immune systems but fighting infections
- Prevents depression/anxiety
- Treats/prevents diabetes, obesity, muscle weakness,
- Treats/prevents COPD, asthma, bronchitis
- Can help with PMS
- Can help with skin conditions such as scleroderma, vitiligo, actinic keratosis and lupus vulgaris!
You can ask your family GP to test your Vit D levels!
Signs and symptoms of a deficiency:
- Achey muscles and bones
- GI conditions/stomach upset
- Mood disorders, feeling blue/depressed
- High blood pressure/cholesterol
- Excessive head sweating
People most at risk of deficiency:
- Age 50 or older
- Milk allergies (non dairy consumers) – milk is “fortified” with D – same goes for dairy alternatives
- Dark skin
- Kidney and/or Liver disease
Comments are closed.